- To make quality the defining element of higher education in India through a combination of self and external quality evaluation, promotion and sustenance initiatives.
- To arrange for periodic assessment and accreditation of institutions of higher education or units thereof, or specific academic programs or projects.
- To stimulate the academic environment for the promotion of quality of teaching-learning and research in higher education institutions.
- To encourage self-evaluation, accountability, autonomy, and innovations in higher education.
- To undertake quality-related research studies, consultancy, and training programs, and collaborate with other stakeholders of higher education for quality evaluation, promotion, and sustenance.